Hello, my name is [name] and I’m a constituent calling from Berkeley. Thank you for your leadership in taking steps to end the divisive and harmful Urban Shield program. Now is the chance for Alameda County to proactively design and implement disaster preparedness programs that are effective, humane, and community-centered. The recommendations that have been approved by the Ad Hoc Committee are a much needed step in the right direction. These include:
- Eliminating SWAT teams and competition from the exercises
- Eliminating the weapons expo that puts weapons manufacturers and private interests above the goals of whole community preparedness
- Dedicating resources for the Public Health Department to conduct emergency preparedness exercises.
- Getting rid of the notoriously toxic Urban Shield label
I urge you to continue to embody strong leadership for the county’s communities, and to give Alameda County residents the resources they deserve by voting to adopt the Ad Hoc Committee’s recommendations during your meeting on February 26th.
On February 26th, the Alameda County Board of Supervisors will be voting on recommendations that call for community-centered, demilitarized emergency preparedness in the Bay Area. Come urge them to vote yes, and let them hear you before the 26th!
Take Action and Call Your Supervisor!
Please make your call before February 26th. If you don’t know which Supervisor’s district you live in, you can find out here. Below is a sample script you can use – we highly encourage you to personalize the script while keeping to the Stop Urban Shield Coalition’s main message.
- District 1: Supervisor Haggerty – (510) 272-6691, ask for Josh Thurman
- District 2: Supervisor Valle – (510) 272-6692, ask for Chris Miley
- District 3: Supervisor Chan – (510) 272-6693, ask for Dave Brown
- District 4: Supervisor Miley – (510) 670-3691, ask for Erin Armstrong
- **District 5 (Berkeley) **: Supervisor Carson – (510) 272-6695, ask for Shahida Lacy